Monday, October 13, 2008

My Idol


This post has nothing to do with that television show.

At SCC this fall I had the chance to sit in on a seminar of someone who's book I read.

She was incredible. She was so open, honest and sincere not to mention down to earth and funny. Just sitting there listening to her was simply amazing. Not to mention it lent so much to the words in her book. That not only did those words touch me so deeply, but the person who wrote them was real. It made those words sink in even more.

On top of that she gave me a few minutes before lunch to sign my copy of her book and chat with me for a few minutes. Just those few minutes had a profound effect on me.

Now I have a long way to go, but if I ever get through this and come out on the other side relatively in one piece. I hope to pay her kindness forward. I might never be the public figure and activist that she is, but if I can show my support to others by being as kind and generous with my time as she was to me. Well that will be enough for me. I think we all need that at sometime, a big sister (or brother depending on your situation) to look up to.

I might never get to know her personally but her example inspired me and that is why today I say she is my idol. The trans community needs more people like her.

So now, if you haven't done so already, you should get to know more about Donna Rose. I also highly recommend her book and blog

On the off chance that she read this, thank you Donna. You gave me renewed hope and energy.

0 comments: