Friday, January 14, 2011

Heavy Rotation

I listen to a lot of music.

I also listen to a lot of variety in my music. 

Many a people have come to realize not only can I not be defined by what I listen too, I am not influenced by the music. 

I have listen and still listen to things that completely surprise people because I don't live the lifestyle that goes along with said genre of music.

I never have either. To me music is just a form of entertainment and I will almost always listen to something once. 

If I like it I will continue to listen to it. 

Music to me never gets old. Even if it may not be the in thing or it supposedly has pasted it's time, if I still like it I will still listen to it. 

Now while I have been all over the Internet looking for new things to listen to and I can list a bunch of singles, artist and albums that I have played and still play quite a lot. You must consider I have nearly 300 CDs and almost eight thousand songs. Yet lately I find myself coming back to a few albums right now. I do mean the whole album top to bottom. Something about them just seems complete and reaches out to me in different ways.

Maybe it is my mood or something I don't really know but I seem to select one or two of these up at least once a week.

Sleigh Bells - Treats

I caught the single Rill, Rill a few months ago on satellite radio, pulled up the CD online and instantly fell in love with the strangeness and crazy raw sound it had.  I would call it messy noisy ear candy. I now have a copy for myself.

Nirvana - Nevermind

I was never a huge alternative or grunge fan, in fact Nirvana wasn't a favorite band of mine from the era. However I was in my last year of HS when this album was released and witnessed the impact that it and the group had. Never had I seen anything like it and imagine I may not ever again. A virtually unknown band setting the world of music on it's head. Forever changing the musical landscape.

While I pick and choose from the genre I simply love this album and still do. A song popped up while shuffling through my collection not to long ago prompting me to sit down and listen to it again. It still moves me like it did and I didn't realize how much I had missed listening to it. Maybe it is a little nostalgia or maybe it really just is as good as I remember it. Some times I think it is the overall vibe of screw the establishment we are going to do it our way. Who knows, but I have been gravitating toward it now and again.

Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs - Show Your Bones

I don't know why but Karen O's vocals seem to carry me somewhere else. It is almost like they are fun, cheeky, emotional and deep at the same time.

Metallica - Death Magnetic

This is like satisfying my sweet tooth only it is my angry tooth. Plus they have always seemed to do angry and crunchy with such style and well written songs. While not my favorite album of theirs it just seems to match that angst perfectly right now.

The Dollyrots - A Little Messed Up

Cause they are fun and just seem to get better with each release. Plus Kelly just seems to say I am a girl but I can sing about anything. Plus they just have a cool Cali vibe I like.

Deadmau5 - 4x4=12

I listen to a lot of electronic, in fact I have albums that pre-date the likes of Daft Funk and The Chemical Brothers dating back to 1990. For some reason Deadmau5(pronounced 'dead mouse') just does things that can amaze me today, I haven't heard a disk that is bad or doesn't do something new and interesting yet. This new one is fantastic and I have been playing it a lot since I got in December. 

Ecanescence - Fallen

Because Amy Lee just blows me away and the power in her voice is amazing. It is kind of like my female angst disc to listen too.

The Prodigy - The Dirtchamber Sessions Volume One

I love DJ mixes, mashups and similar. The man behind The Prodigy does an amazing performance here, wandering genres, eras, and just seems to be having so much fun doing it. It wanders all over the map for an hour but never seems to lose it's way.

Ivy - Apartment Life

Lastly we come to one of my favorite artist. Everyone talks about Tori Amos and Little Earthquakes(which is an excellent album) but I challenge Tori fans to listen to Ivy. Every disc is very good and they are quite often put on shuffle when I am in the tub soaking. Yet Apartment Life just resonates in my bones right now. Every song just speaks to something in me and to so many different feelings depending on the song. 

Again there are so many good CDs out there some that are just always a favorite listen of mine but right now these have floated to the top for whatever reason. Also these are all CDs I actually own. I still prefer a physical medium to listen on when I can. Mp3 are nice and portable, but I still enjoy listening to a full CD on a decent system. I guess there is something about filling a room with sound that just feels nice.

1 comments:

Jessica Lyn said...

Just wanted you to know that I've been listening to Ivy ever since you posted "Feel So Free" to the music player on here a while back.