Wednesday, October 27, 2010

All Hallows Eve

I love the changing of seasons.

It is one of the best parts about the region I currently live in. 

While Summer and Winter are favorites, I am simply in love with Fall.

Spring around here is generally mushy and cold teasing us with the promise of Summer. It is a nice feeling but it is just not a season I feel I can fully enjoy.

There is something magical about Fall for me. I adore the crispy but not yet cold weather. The amazing collage of colors as the foliage changes. This is something I miss about my parents small second home in the more northern part of the state. The colors were simply amazing in the Fall. 

I can tell you have had so many enjoyable nights recently taking my dogs for late evening walks with a mix of stars, ghostly clouds and a big fat mood glowing in the sky. With just the hint of chill and breeze in the air. 

I am mildly embarrassed to admit it, but walking on nights like this is an amazing aphrodisiac that the right person who came along would so get me in the mood. 

It also brings the month of October which not only has all that but it heralded the start of Hockey season. 

It also includes my favorite holiday.

Halloween. 

Ever since I was a child I have simply loved this holiday. Better still that if fits in perfectly with this time of year. 
I love creepy but not morbid Halloween decorations. A decent haunted house or hayride is always fun. A lot try to do too much, but there are some good ones out there. I love the marathons on TV with haunted locations on the travel channel along with some of the ghost hunter stuff. There are times I can't believe everything but some of them are a lot of fun to watch. 

Whenever I travel I try to find a haunted walking tour of the city I am in, most larger ones have these. If I can ever do that around Halloween I would love it. London has several that tour many of the very famous sites and they do it on Halloween at the witching hour. 

Now I am not a big horror fan. Never have been. I am not a fan of gore and guts. I do like a good creep out or tension scare. Think The Others, the first Halloween movie(only slasher film I have ever liked), The Sixth Sense, The Ring, The Silence of the Lambs.

I also like the fun movies, I can tell you Beetlejuice, The Corpse Bride, Sleepyhollow, and The Nightmare Before Christmas all get watched this time of year. Just something about how Tim Burton does eerie that I like. I am not always a fan of his work either. 

As for the holiday itself I love a good Halloween party I have held them myself in the past. Great costumes, good food, and wonderful decorations. I have even been to a few where the whole house was decked out. 

I do take a little umbrage with the whole skanking out of Halloween it can be fun if done right but I think far too many people take it too far, too often. I prefer someone be creative about it. One year I saw a couple come as a pimp and his hooker. Nothing to out of the ordinary right? Well, the following year the same two came again only this time it was as an undead pimp and his undead hooker. The makeup was great too, very detailed. They actually had planned that the year before but decided to have a twelve month setup. 

I would love to partake in a Zombie Walk, or shuffle if that sound better, one of these years. I am just that kind of girl.

I do not, however, feel that Halloween is a Trans holiday. I know people are going to use it for that and there is nothing more I can say. I just feel that if you are using Halloween as an excuse that the issue is more superficial than what I feel. It has just never been a time of year I felt was important to who I was regarding my gender. 

Call me traditionalist I guess. Halloween has a special place in my heart I love the mysticism with a little bit of creepy and spooky thrown in. 

With that said I still implore every to go out and have fun this Halloween season. Show some creativity and enjoy. Just be safe with whatever it is that you do. 

Happy Haunting!

1 comments:

Jessica Lyn said...

Funny, I've been taking my dogs out too.. being from AZ this time of year is great because we just got rid of the nastiness that is summer here.. tho it has been usually warm during the day for this time of year but nights are pretty nice.

Hope your holiday is great!